Over 150 prehistoric and historic archaeological sites in Anson County have been recorded in the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office's statewide inventory. This number includes the Teal Site, an early archaeological site related to the Pee Dee Indians (c. A.D. 1000-A.D. 1600 ) and to Town Creek Indian Mound (in Montgomery County). The earliest radiocarbon date for the introduction of corn in North Carolina comes from this site.
A countywide survey of historic properties took place in the early 1980s with the assistance of the Historic Preservation Office. This survey was a cooperative local-state project accomplished with grants and staff assistance from the Historic Preservation Office.
In 1981 Anson County received a $13,000 federal subgrant from the State Historic Preservation Office for a county survey. In 1997, a $4,000 federal subgrant was awarded for preparation of a National Register nomination for Wadesboro's central business district. Since 1969 the Boggan-Hammond House and J.R. Faison Community Center have received $76,000 in state appropriations.
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
There are four individual properties in Anson County listed in the National Register of Historic Places: the Boggan-Hammond House, the Billy Horne Farm, the Chambers-Morgan Farm, and the United States Post Office Building in Wadesboro. A district encompassing most of Wadesboro's central business district was listed in the National Register in 1999.
PRESERVATION TAX CREDITS
The Historic Preservation Office reviewed and provided restoration technical services for the renovation of the Billy Horne House, an income-producing tax credit project in Polkton, which has been completed at a total construction investment of $19,000.
Technical assistance has been provided by the Historic Preservation Office for the restoration of the Boggan-Hammond House and the Alexander Little Wing in Wadesboro, as well as for the Lockhart Farm north of Wadesboro, the Billy Horne House in Polkton, the Ansonia Theatre and the Old Belk Building in Wadesboro, and many other buildings throughout the county.